Monday, December 7, 2015

For December 3rd

Karen's article on choice was super interesting. It was sort of random, with just a look at three cultures, however, it was insightful. I think our American need to decide definitely has its effects. I'm already tired of deciding everything! However, by having such an emphasis on choice, we are giving voice to more. Voice, for many, demands responsibility. Our idea of "everyone can choose" also impedes on potential progression. Not only are decisions made slower, but with this dogma, we tend to value when someone takes personal responsibility instead of identifying systematic causes. This destroys the idea that we all have choice, and maybe that is a part why when any social change happens in America it is met with a lot of denial.


The man in Lauren's post was crazy. I think it's not up to the writer, but the publishing company and the readers. That's why the readers should be open to reading a lot. Writers should always keep writing as long as they have an honest agenda. I think the idea of reading authors and characterize them as "the default" objectifies writing because good writing should just resonate and be it-- no matter who's it from. Good writing should hit not on just a culturally level, but on multiple emotional and intellectual levels.I do also think it's important for readers to read stories about people from around the world. I was very lucky that my school district promoted reading stories from perspectives of minorities in America and people living in Asia and the Middle East. It was always made clear that the Middle East wasn't as harsh as it's been.


I've noticed, from reading the Psychology Today article Charlotte posted, that in college a lot of people respond to "hey, how are you?" with "okay." Many of us are not in the business of hiding our surface feelings. I think this is a sign of progress and a telling aspect of my generation's emotional intelligence. However, when I think about "hiding" our emotions, I think hiding them is human and sometimes necessary. They are bigger things than your feelings a lot of the time. I think it's important for kids to understand when to share and when it's best to focus on others.

No comments:

Post a Comment