Monday, November 30, 2015

Mr. Clean Ads are Gross

"I have an older sister and brother."
"Who's the middle child?"
"My brother, technically, but he was really 'the boy.'"
That's how I explain my siblings. Then I say how it's not as old-school Italian as one might think-- it's just that no one ever referred to Bobby as the middle child. He got jealous that I got a Jansport backpack in the first grade and an L.L. Bean backpack in sixth. That is about how middle child he got. One reason was because my siblings and I are so different -- the expectation for each of us were only the same for driving, schoolwork, and housework (Well, sort of on that last one. Bobby is a ninja when it comes to that). Another reason, no doubt, is people's needs to separate us by gender. While Bobby is like Ashley (my sister) as well as me personality-wise, Ashley and I are so different that our only acknowledged union by anyone is that we are "the girls."

On the research end, I always am taken back when surveys only have "gender" or "sex" available with only two options. It's such a limited scope-- how can one understand the issues with just two options?
I really enjoyed the Buzzfeed fragile masculinity article. Such a waste of money. And why do people think men want to feel like cars? On another note, lately logos have turned to sans-seriff (round) and lowercased logos (Walmart, Sears, Aramark) to give a friendlier, conversational feel. The softer logos also make me think they are becoming more feminized. I wonder how this plays at or am I being hyper-aware.

No comments:

Post a Comment