Monday, October 12, 2015

Chapter 14

Writing about Suicide was about the class Literary Suicide.

What I found peculiar was that Jeff chose Jon's entries as one to co-write with. I'm still unsure why. Jon's entries were vague and a times a little forced in the metaphors. Am I mean to say that about a personal journal? Yes. I am. I don't know, maybe from the title of the chapter I wasn't expecting to hear about a kid who had a bottle of poison in his garage. There were too many other unanswered questions, like why the hell was the bottle there? Who the hell would let a bottle of poison be next to the extra key?
Not to say that what Jon wrote about wasn't helpful to him, or interesting to see how a mind heals without much edit. But for such an important subject I can' understand why Jeff would choose such an outsider to it. A fascination with suicide has nothing on actually being suicidal. Everyone has pain, everyone could use healing, but there are some points where I personally delegate what to pay more attention to because it's what's more important. All those statistics in the beginning seemed so distant from the focus on Jon.

Who knows, I'm super hungry right now so maybe I missed a couple things.

On another note, this passage:
"In a sense I now consider reading Darkness Visible as a kind of inoculation against depression. You know the way inoculations work: you get injected with a little bit of the virus and your body develops a resistance to it that protects you from it in the future. In doing so, however, you may come down with some symptoms of the disease you're being immunized against. So I suppose in this analogy, my evanescent depression was simply a side-effect of the inoculation."

I've experienced that and I think this was an example of literature and art allowing a space for someone to feel stuff they probably wanted to for a while-- they just now have a guide to feel less lonely.

No comments:

Post a Comment