Monday, September 28, 2015

Chapter 8

Alice G. Brand's essay on science of the brain concluded this way: healing is a form of learning. Any gain we make with our minds if technically an alteration-- that's how we might feel confusion about something, and then once we write it out it becomes more clear, or at least easier to handle emotionally.

This reminded me of a book I read in a class called Decisions Decisions Decisions. I forget the name of the book, but the whole argument was that emotion was crucial to making decisions. Humans are can barely objectify fully. Pretty everything we think and say have some sort of feeling towards it. It also explains why some science findings get skewed-- there is the political climate, backed by money and feelings, that can sway us. Sometimes memory (and feeling) can be forgotten, but either way, it has made an impact.

Personally, I've been told to not try to figure out why I feel the complicated feelings I feel. It's too much time and effort and it's full of dissappointment. I should move forward and do what's best for me. Sometimes I feel that as humans we are full of formulas and the one we always try to reach for is to be happy-- read a book, go outside, eat good food, spend time with friends. But is that just a distraction from the real thing? What if we write and we don't feel great about what he taught ourselves? Not to mention that trying to figure out the happy formula or always trying to live up to it is exhausting for many.

No comments:

Post a Comment